Rights of Way

The parish has several Rights of Way (RoW), some of which pass through the village. Maintaining these may be the responsibility of the land owner, or Warwickshire County Council, or both. However, WCC will offer support for any voluntary group prepared to assist with maintenance in the form of equipment, training to use that equipment, and insurance to cover volunteers when using that equipment. To find out more visit the WCC Rights of Way web page, e-mail paths@warwickshire.gov.uk, or call 01926 413427.

In the absence of a formal volunteer group any individual can report problems with a RoW using the WCC Public Rights of Way Map page. This page allows you to zoom in to identify the RoW, but you do have to register for a free account in order to report a problem. WCC will investigate reported problems, and if appropriate will encourage the land owner to clear any obstructions. WCC are responsible for upgrowth whereas the land owner is responsible for obstruction from hedges and trees.

The people best placed to report RoW problems, and to monitor resolution of those problems, are those who use the RoWs. The Parish Council encourages RoW users to take this initiative, and to contact the Parish Council in the event of unsatisfactory response.

Safe path to the sports field

It has long been an aspiration of the village for residents to be able to walk safely to the sports field. Following negotiations over the routing of the gas main for GLH it emerged that there may now be a possibility of securing permission to establish a path across the land adacent to the hedgerow alongside Chesterton Road, negating the need for pedestrians to risk walking in the road.

An application was made to the Police & Crime Commissioner's Road Safety Fund for funding for a safe path along this route. I am sorry to say that our application didn't match the criteria closely enough. However, if we can muster volunteers willing to work on clearing a path then there is a good chance that we can secure permission so to do.

If you would like to see a safe path to the sports field, especially if you have relevant experience or can provide plant or materials, then please contact Cllr Andy Smith. Contact details for all councillors are on the Councillors page. David Nottingham from Brookbanks supplied us with this map showing a possible route.